The origin of the Heritage Social Club (HSC) is very interesting. It was
not originally incorporated in the location of the current location of its facilities. In fact, the origin of the corporation was under the name of "Senior Citizen's Social Club" and
was incorporated on January 25, 1974. Its head office was listed as at the Legion Branch 185 situated at 141 Grand Moulin. It would seem, by the documents available, that there
were several names used over the time that the corporation existed. Among them are the "Senior Men's Club" and a few variations that appear in letters and lore but not in registered filings.
On February 8, 1985 the Senior Citizen's Social Club (SCSC) was reconstituted and listed as its head office 503 Cedar. With the assistance of local officials, a grant was
obtained from the Federal Government. Less than 2 (two) weeks later, the SCSC purchased the building at 503 Cedar. The official occupancy was backdated to December 18, 1984.
The organization struggled over many years. While there were attempts to advance and
change the then SCSC, none bore fruit until the recent rebirth. Subsequent to that, on April 14, 2010, the SCSC moved forward and was renamed the Heritage Social Club. The new name was to embrace the roots of the organization and at the same time, to
continue moving forward with the new spirit of openness and community service. We believe those objectives to be the true core beliefs of the membership as a whole and congruent with those of the original founders.
The land is made up of 4 (four) parcels of land. Our earliest documents show the empty property was sold to A. Prince on June 14, 1921. Over the years a cottage was built. The
property and cottage were sold to M. Prince on Aug 1, 1952.
Nearly 2 (two) years later, on June 3, 1954, the whole was purchased by A. Bellotti. Subsequently, A. Bellotti sold the cottage and land to the "Two Mountains Masonic
Corporation" on March 26, 1958. The document states the A. Bellotti purchase in 1954 of the property was done on behalf of the Two Mountains Masonic Corporation using that Corporation's funds and therefore was sold for $1 (one dollar).
The Two Mountains Masonic Corporation embarked on the addition of structures to the
property. Some were completed but others were not completed. The Two Mountains Masonic Corporation sold the properties at 503 Cedar to the SCSC on February 8, 1985.
The transaction included the land, building with incomplete additions, and most of the contents.
The detailed purchase agreement was comprehensive and ran ten pages. It included all conceivable scenarios. One requirement was that the SCSC complete the extensions,
paying all outstanding debts and operating expenses The SCSC fulfilled those obligations and by virtue of the Federal Government grant completed additions. The SCSC was,
however, left cash poor as a result..
The Corporation is now expanding its capabilities both in terms of services provided (programs) and that of the facilities. Although there is no permanent funding stream
provided to the HSC, we maintain that trend. Most of the activities are self-supporting. We would be remiss, however, if we did not thank Services Canada for the initial funding
directed towards "Learning from the Roots".
With regard to the facilities, there are challenges. But over the past four years there have
been major improvements. A new fully equipped commercial kitchen ensures our ability to feed all those who wish to enjoy our offerings. And when you need to freshen up, the
new bathrooms offer you more space and comfort, in a clean and fresh environment.
Most of the old foundation of the cottage still exists in the crawl space.
Some current members went to school in the "Main Hall"
Contrary to popular belief, there is no documentation to support the building ever being a church or other place of worship (specifically denied in the 1985 purchase agreement).